Group photo of the participants (see list below).
30 delegates converged on Cape Town, South Africa, 30 and 31 October, to hammer out principles and action for future FDI undertakings on the African continent.
They included presidents and representatives from 16 national dental associations, a government official, a delegate from the World Health Organization (WHO), as well as FDI council and committee members and staff.
The aim was to listen, learn and agree on a common strategy to build capacity, reinforce credibility and enhance the operational effectiveness of African national dental associations.
African Summit on Oral Health (30 to 31 October 2012): Declaration
FDI World Dental Federation and 16 Presidents and representatives of its member National Dental Associations (NDAs) at the African Summit on Oral Health in Cape Town on 30 and 31 October 2012:
- within the context of the overarching vision of ‘Leading the World to Optimal Oral Health’;
- mindful of the crucial role of oral health in general health; and
- alarmed by the omission of oral health from the ongoing discussions on WHO draft global work plan 2014-2019
FDI and NDAs commit to:
- improving efficiency in order to reinforce credibility as national strategic advisor in the field of public oral health policy making;
- enhancing leadership and management skills;
- reinforcing inter-NDA communication and information exchange.
In support of these commitments, FDI and its NDAs will:
- develop and facilitate training to enhance NDA skills in strategic planning, leadership, negotiation, governance, marketing and communications and project management;
- advocate actively for oral health in the African continent;
- develop a framework with WHO for data collection and dissemination;
- implement and promote this strategic plan for African NDAs.
Meeting delegates. Present at the meeting were:
Dr. Marc-Aurèle CATRAYE, Association des Chirurgiens-Dentistes du Benin, Benin, Dr. Jocelyne Gare Kopiho, Association des Chirurgiens-Dentistes du Burkina Faso (ACDB), Burkina Faso, Dr. Brigitte Banza, Association Nationale des Chirurgiens-dentistes, Democratic Republic of Congo, Prof. Marvet Rashed, Egyptian Dental Association, Egypt, Dr. Gilbert A. Ankrah, Ghana Dental Association, Ghana, Dr. Mamadu Cande Guinea-Bissau Dental Association, Guinea Bissau, Dr. Jane G. Wamai, Kenya Dental Association, Kenya, Dr. Susan Maina, Kenya Dental Association / FDI Strategy For Africa Task Team, Kenya, Dr. Ahmed Ba, Association des Odonto-Stomatologistes du Mali (AOSMA), Mali, Prof. Lahcen Ouseha, Association Marocaine de Prévention Bucco-Dentaire (AMPBD), Morocco, Dr. Paula Ahing, Mozambique, Dental Association, Mozambique, Dr. Ibrahim Amadou, Association des Chirurgiens Dentistes du Niger, Dr. Oluotimi Olojede, Nigerian Dental Association, Nigeria, Dr. Wakabe Kane, Association Nationale des Chirurgiens-dentistes Senegalais (ANCDS), Senegal, Dr Roux Vermeulen, South African Dental Association, South Africa, Dr. Fadil Elamin, Sudanese Dental Union, Sudan, Dr. Alphonse Mangamana, Association des Chirurgiens-Dentistes du Togo (ACDT), Togo, Dr. Gerald Tsoka, Dental Association of Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe,
FDI World Dental Federation
Dr Orlando Monteiro da Silva, President.
Members of the FDI Strategy for Africa Task Team: Dr. Emile China (Benin), FDI Councilor, Dr. Patrick Hescot (France), FDI Councilor, Prof. Denis Bourgeois (France), President of GADEF,
FDI head office: Dr Jean-Luc Eiselé, Executive Director, Dr Virginie Horn, FDI Education and Development Manager, Christopher M. Simpson, Communications manager.
Ms. Danièle Castle (Switzerland).