Name: Orlando José Mendes Monteiro da Silva
Date of Birth: 26 January 1963
Place of Birth: Porto, Portugal
Marital Status: Married
1987 Graduated in Dental Medicine from the Faculty of Dental Medicine of the University of Porto, Portugal
- “Mastering Health Care Finance”, by the IEMS – Institute of Health Economics and Management and Harvard Medical International, September 2008, Portugal
- Training Seminar: “Upgrading NGO Lobbying Practices” by the European Training Institute (ETI), 26th November, Belgium
- English, French, German and Spanish written and spoken
- Since 1987 – Private practice of dental medicine in own clinic
- 1988 to 1990 – Served in the Portuguese Air Force as a Dentist Second Lieutenant
- 1991 a 1995 – Auxiliary Professor of Health Policy in Europe, University Moderna of Porto
Professional Association Activity
- Since 2001 – President of the Portuguese Dental Association (Ordem dos Médicos Dentistas)
- 2011-2013 – President of the FDI World Dental Federation
- 2009-2011 – President-Elect of the FDI World Dental Federation
- Since 2011 – President of the National Council of the Professional Orders
- Since 2011 – Advisor of the Portuguese Economic and Social Council
- 2006 – 2009 – President of the Council of European Dentists – CED
- Since 2008 – Vice-President of the Portuguese-Speaking Countries Dental Association (Associação Dentária Lusófona – ADL)
- 1998 to 2000 – Member of the Board of Directors of the Portuguese Dental Association
- Since 2001 – Delegate of the Portuguese Dental Association at the FDI World Dental Federation
- Since 2001 – Delegate of the Portuguese Dental Association at the European Regional Organization of the FDI World Dental Federation
- Since 2001 – Delegate of the Council of European Dentists
- 2003 to 2006 – Director of the Council of European Dentists
- 2004 to 2007 – Councillor of the FDI World Dental Federation
Professional Organizations Membership
- Portuguese Dental Association (Ordem dos Médicos Dentistas) – Professional Licence nº 346
- Fellow of the International College of Dentists
- Affiliate Member of the American Dental Association
- Fellow of the European Association of Dental Public Health
- Affiliate Member nº 3419 of the Portuguese Society of Stomatology and Dental Medicine
Political and Civic Activities
- Joined the Honour Commission of the candidature of the President of the Portuguese Republic, Prof. Aníbal Cavaco Silva, in 2006 and 2011
- Joined the Honour Commission of the one hundredth celebration of the University of Porto
- Member of New Portugal, a civic movement of political reflection about the future of Portugal; coordinator of the item “Persons”
- Co-Founder of Direita pela Regionalização, civic movement for the implementation of political and administrative regions in Portugal
Conferences and Scientific Events
Speaker at Conferences and Scientific Events
- Speaker at the 8th Azores Oral Health Meeting, Azores, Portugal.
- Lecture at the 27º National Congress and 8th International Congress of the Italian Dental Association, Cagliari, Italy.
- Speaker at BIT’s 1st Annual International Congress of Dental & Oral Medicina, China.
- Speaker at the conference “The new law for public and professionals associations: challenges and opportunities”, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Speaker at the 40th Annual Meeting of the Association for Dental Education in Europe, Riga, Latvia.
- Delivered the closing summary at the Third World Health Professions Regulation Conference in Geneva, Switzerland Unilever Sustainable Living Plan, London, England.
- Round Table “Current practice of Dentistry in Europe” of the XXXIV Congresso Nacional e XIV Internacional do Consejo General de Colegios de Odontólogos y Estomatólogos de España, Spain.
- 1st Mozambique Dental Association Congress, under the theme “Challenges and Opportunities in Mozambique”, Mozambique.
- 5th World Healthcare Students’ Symposium, with the theme “Interprofessional Collaboration Practice.The role of Dentists and Oral Health”, Switzerland.
- 5th Summer University of the French Confederation of Dental Union, France.
- FDI-World Dental Federation/CDA-Commonwealth Dental Association/SLDA Joint International Conference, under the theme “New Challenges in Dental & Oral Care, Sri Lanka.
- Fourth Annual Master of Science Research Day of Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, USA.
- XI Congress of CIS “Innovation in Dentistry” in Almaty, Kazakstan.
- 2013 Mutual Cooperation of Duel Taipei Annual Scientific meeting & General Assembly, Taipei.
- Philips Oral Healthcare Symposium “Emerging Trends in Oral Health Care 2013″, under the theme “Oral Health in the 21st Century – What’s Next?”, Netherlands.
- 5th Dental Students Scientific Meeting, Saudi Arabia.
- Speaker at the II Sino-Portuguese Dental Congress in Macau.
- Speaker at IADS & IDW 59th Meeting, Romenia.
- Presented the program of the FDI VISION 2020 at the “Brasil Sorridente” conference, Brazil.
- Lecture “Oral Health Policy” at the International Dental Congress “Dentistry today and tomorrow”, Lithuanian Dental Chamber, Lithuania.
- Moderator of the “FDI Lecture: Pathogenesis and Management of Periodontal Disease – Changing Concepts”, IDEM Singapore
- 6th Moscow International Dental Exhibition MosExpoDental. “Innovations in Dentistry”, deliver a presentation about FDI Vision 2020 – challenges of National Dental Associations, Russia.
- Speaker at the Seminar “The role of the Professional Orders in the management of health units”, organized by the Atlantic Business School, 7th January, Portugal
- Lecturer at the Advanced Management Program for Executive Dentists at the Portuguese Catholic University, with the theme: “Professional Practice in Portugal, in Europe and Worldwide”, 9th December, Portugal
- Speaker at the First Annual Meeting of Forensic Sciences – Theory and Practices, of the University Fernando Pessoa, 23rd November, Portugal
- Conference with the 4 Health Portuguese Associations under the theme: Healthcare safety versus sustainability of the health system, 2 June, Portugal
- Speaker at the X Congress SEGER, 28 May, Portugal
- Round Table “Hospital dentistry” at the II Congress of Hospital Dentistry, 22 May, Portugal
- Conference at the V Congress of the Portuguese Catholic University, 14 May, Portugal
- Speaker at the Fórum Novas Fronteiras, 20 March, Portugal
- Lecture at the 54th Annual Meeting of the ICD – International College of Dentists, “Dentistry in Europe”, Portugal
- Speaker at the International Dental Conference the Lithuanian Dental Chamber, under the theme: “Patient Safety”, Lithuania
- Lecture at the 7th Hungarian Dental Days, Hungary
- Round Table: “Health Policies and Environment” presented at the 1st International Congress of the University Fernando Pessoa, Portugal
- Conference: “National reality of the Professional Regulation on Health” organized by the Ordem dos Enfermeiros (Portuguese Nurses Association), on 4th December in Lisbon
- Round Table “Promoting health preventing disease” presented at the 11th European Health Forum Gastein, Austria
- Round Table “High quality healthcare in Europe” under the patronage of EU, Belgium
- “The reached highest status in Continuing Education in EU” presented at the TDA 15th International Dental Congress, Turkey
- “CED Presentation” at the Meeting of the European Federation of Orthodontic Specialists Associations (EFOSA), Portugal
- “New EU Directive on Cross-Border Healthcare” presented at the IX Dentistry Symposium of the University of Debrecen, Hungary
- Conference “A sign that time is changing or an attack on the Liberal Profession”, Italy
- President of the Round Table “Oral Health” included at the programme of the Portuguese Presidency of the EU: “Health Strategies in Europe”, Portugal
- “The Practice of dental profession in Portugal and in Europe: future perspectives” presented at the Day of the Faculty of Dental Medicine of the University of Porto; Portugal
- “Human Resources in Dental Medicine” presented at the Meeting of European Chief Dental Officers, Portugal
- “Dentistry in Europe” presented at a conference organised by the Bulgarian Dental Association, Bulgaria
- Round Table at the 1st University Summer of the Confédération Nationale des Syndicats Dentaires, France
- “Dentistry: The Reality of Dental Practice in Europe” presented at the 18º CIORJ, Brazil
- Europatag 2007, Berlin, Germany
- Moderator of the Round Table “Community Oral Health – Continent, Madeira and Azores” at the IV Oral Health Meeting of Azores, Portugal
- “Portuguese Dental Association Professional themes” presented at the Portuguese Dental Association Annual Meeting, Portugal
- “Autarchy and Oral Health” presented at the II Azores Oral Health Meeting, Portugal
- Round Table “Public Dentistry: strategies and priorities”, during the I Azores Oral Health Meeting, Portugal
Participation in Conferences and Scientific Events
- 35th International Dental Show – IDS , March, Germany.
- America’s Dental Meeting (ADA), USA.
- 37th Congress of the Argentina Dental Association, Argentina.
- IX International Congress of the Circulo de Odontólogos del Paraguay, Paraguay.
- 35th International Dental Show, German.
- CIOSP – Sao Paulo International
- Dental Experts Conference, Bangladesh Dental Society, Bangladesh.
- African Summit on Oral Health in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Participation at the National Oral Health Month 2012, Indondesia.
- Annual Arab-Asian-African-American Scientific Dental Alliance Meeting, Dubai.
- 52nd Congress of the Iranian Dental Association Teaching “The Failures”, Leading to “success”, Iran.
- 30th São Paulo International Dental Meeting (CIOSP), Brazil.
- 34th International Dental Show – IDS, March, Germany;Second session of the intergovernmental negotiating committee to prepare a global legally binding instrument on mercury, of the United Nations Enviroment Programme, January, Japan
- 18th FDI/MDA 2011 International Scientific Convention & Trade Exhibition, January, Malaysia
- 1st Global Congress of Chinese Dentists, December, China
- XXXII SEOP Meeting & I SPOP Meeting, 20 May, Portugal
- Conference of ERO/FDI on “A Global Medical Approach in the Service of the Profession”, 30 April, Yeravan, Armenia
- Second World Health Professions Conference on Regulation, 18-19 February, Geneva, Switzerland
- Conference of ERO/FDI on Fluoride in Europe: Implications, vision and reality for oral health care, 18 April, Rome, Italy
- 14th Congress of BaSS and the 9th Scientific Congress of Bulgarian Dental Association, 6-9 May, Varna, Bulgaria
- 31st Asia Pacific Dental Congress 2009, 10-11 May, Hong Kong
- 4th Congress of Dental Medicine of the Portuguese Catholic University, 22 May, Viseu, Portugal
- 19th CIORJ, 15-18 July, Brazil
- Attended the Rio Caries Conference – The Global Caries Initiative (FDI/ABO), 15-17 July, Brazil
- XV CIOBA, organised by the ABO-BA, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
- II Regional Congress of the Portuguese Dental Association, Azores, Portugal
- Conference of ERO / FDI on “Risk Management”, Turkey
- Sino-Portuguese Dental Congress, Macau
- Conference of ERO/FDI on “Quality”, Russia
- Health National Forum, organised by the High Commission of Health
- I Regional Congress of the Portuguese Dental Association, Madeira, Portugal
- II Atlantic Congress of Oral Health, Cape Verde
- Nongovernmental Organizations Health Promotion Workshop, Switzerland
- XVII CIORJ, organised by the ABO-RJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- XXIX Congreso Nacional y IX Internacional de Odontologia y Estomatología, Spain
- Conference of ERO / FDI on “Prevention”, Greece
- XI Spring Conference of the Portuguese Dental Association, Portugal
- “Course of Basic support of life”, by the Portuguese Resuscitation Council, October 2005, Portugal
- 9th Annual Meeting of the European Association of Dental Public Health, organised by the Portuguese Dental Association, Portugal
- X Spring Conference of the Portuguese Dental Association, Portugal
- 22nd CIOSP, organised by the APCD, Brazil
- 16th CIORJ, organised by the ABO-RJ, Brazil
- 48th Annual Meeting of the International College of Dentists, Ireland
- Conference on “Fixed Prosthesis”, organised by the department of Continuing Education of the Portuguese Dental Association, Portugal
- Symposium of the ERO / FDI on “The Role of ERO in Europe and in the FDI”, Croatia
- IX Spring Conference of the Portuguese Dental Association, Portugal
2001 to 2010
- FDI Annual World Dental Congress
- Symposium of the ERO / FDI on “Quality in Dental Practice”, Switzerland
- VIII Spring Conference of the Portuguese Dental Association, Portugal
- 2000 XI CIOBA, organised by the ABO-BA, Brazil
- Conference on “Therapeutics of pain and infection in Dental Medicine”, organised by the department of Continuing Education of the Portuguese Dental Association, Portugal
- 19th CIOSP, organised by the APCD, Brazil
- Conference on “New technologies of Recuperation that allow conserving the dental structure, to increase the resistance, the aesthetic and facilitate the recovery”, organised by Ultradent Products, Inc., Portugal
- VI Spring Conference of the Portuguese Dental Association, Portugal
- Meeting of winter of the Portuguese Oral Medicine Academy, Portugal
- Seminary of Dr. Blanchard and Dr. Mariescu on “Fixed Prosthesis and Occlusion”, Portugal
- Journées Internationales – Association Stomatologique Internationale, Portugal
- IV Congresso Internacional Hispano-Lusitano de Estomatologia, organised by the Portuguese and Spanish Societies of Stomatology, Spain
Organization of Conferences and Scientific Events
2001 to 2015
- President of the Portuguese Dental Association Annual Congress.
- World Oral Health Day, Portugal.
- World Oral Health Day, Portugal.
- World Oral Health Day, Portugal
- Co-organizer of the I Dental Congress Angola/Portugal (I Congresso Luso-Angolano de Medicina Dentária), in Luanda, Angola
- Co-organizer of the Round Table “Oral Health” included at the programme of the Portuguese Presidency of the EU: “Health Strategies in Europe”, in Lisbon, Portugal
- President of the 6th Portuguese/Brazilian Annual Meeting of Oral Health VI (Congresso Anual Luso-Brasileiro de Saúde Oral), in Lisbon, Portugal
- President of the 4th Portuguese/Brazilian Annual Meeting of Oral Health (IV Congresso Anual Luso-Brasileiro de Saúde Oral), in Lisbon, Portugal
- President of Honour of the 3rd Portuguese/Brazilian Annual Meeting of Oral Health (III Congresso Luso-Brasileiro de Saúde Oral), in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2001 to 2014
- President of the Portuguese Dental Association Annual Congresses
- Organization of the 1st International Medical Conference Porto/Maputo, Mozambique
National & International Issues
- Founder of the Portuguese Speaking Countries Dental Association (Associação Dentária Lusófona – ADL)
- Chairman of the FDI Amalgam Task Team
- Participant in the Working Groups of the Council of European Dentists – CED:
- Working Group “New Positioning and Structure of the DLC”
- Working Group “Advisory Committee”
- “Services and Competition” Task Force
- Working Group “Services Directive”
- Working Group “Professional Qualifications”
- Participant in the Working Group “Future of ERO” of the European Regional Organization from the FDI
- Promotion of active collaboration with Dental Brazilian Associations which lead to the development of interchange in professional training (ABO-RJ and APCD)
- Medal and Diploma of the ABO , Brazilian Dental Association, in the fiftieth anniversary –Salvador, Bahia, 2003, Brazil
- Protocol with the UEFA Soccer EURO 2004. A Cooperation Protocol was signed between the Portuguese Dental Association and UEFA EURO 2004™ aiming to ensure an adequate network of oral health care during the UEFA EURO
- A Cooperation Protocol between the Portuguese Dental Association and the Olympic Committee (Portugal) was signed for the promotion of Oral Health and Sports Dentistry in the Athens 2004 Olympic Games
- A Cooperation Protocol between the Ministry of Health and the Portuguese Dental Association was signed to develop projects with the purpose of guaranteeing that children, pregnant women and seniors on low income can access dental care
Awards and achievements
- Received the Gold Medal of Merit by Municipality of Porto.
- Conferred by election Honorary Membership in the ADA – American Dental Association.
- Conferred Honorary Member of the Spanish Dental Association.
- Conferment of Degree Honoris Causa by the University of Porto.
- Honorary title of professor from the Kazakh National Medical University (KazNMU)
- Tribute by the APMDH, Portuguese Association of the Hospitalar Dental Medicine
- Medal “Tira Dentes” from the ABOP – Associação Luso Brasileira de Saúde Oral;
- Tribute by the ABO-BA – Associação Brasileira de Odontologia secção da Bahia